09 dezembro 2014

The Beginning

The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Mark 1:1

The Beginning

There are some phrases used in the Bible which can quickly catch my attention. One of those is "in the beginning." These are the very first words of the very first book of the Bible, and they explain how everything came to be. Similar words are used by Mark, but not in the context of creation. They are used to signal the beginning of God's work to rescue the lost.

Prior to the coming of Jesus into the world, God used promises to guide his people. He also used many visual helps which included a system of sacrifices. As people faithfully listened to the promises and offered their sacrifices, they expressed their trust in the Lord and what he would do for them.

Mark's record of the life of Jesus signals a dramatic change. He shifts the believer's focus away from the sacrifices and promises to their fulfillment. Mark announced the coming of Jesus and the good news of God's forgiveness and peace. It wasn't that the assurance of forgiveness and peace didn't exist prior to Jesus' coming, but now there was no mistaking what God had begun. Today, I need to rely on this precious proclamation to address my sin and guilt.

Where do I look when my guilt gnaws at me? Where do I look when my conscience is seared by the blazing testimony of God's justice? Where do I look when my self-earned goodness leads only to despair? There is only one answer, and it is Jesus.

This is the answer Mark provides and proclaims. His words are the call to look at what God has done. With his Gospel account he reveals what Jesus did from the beginning of his earthly ministry to the end of it. He reveals Jesus' humble coming and his faithfulness to his Father's will. He reveals Jesus' powerful acts of love and unsurpassed words of compassion. He also reveals Jesus' suffering, death and resurrection. This is the good news I long to hear, and desperately need to hear.

The beginning. These are very specific words and very descriptive words. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus is the beginning of my hope, my comfort, and my peace with God. It is also the beginning of my confidence of life in heaven.

Prayer:
O dearest Lord, I thank you for sending Jesus into the world to be the Savior of all, and I thank you for revealing him to me as my Savior. Give me the faith I need to trust him in all things for this life and for the life to come.

WELS
www.wels.net
www.WhatAboutJesus.com

0 Comentários: